Monday, August 10, 2009

What are the rates?

I suspect people may want to know how much it costs to get stuff done. So this is what I'm starting out with. I figure they may be on the low side, but since supply exceeds demand at the moment - that's what they are for now.
  • Cover/Advance fee: $40
  • Hourly: $15
  • Rendertime: $15/hr
This is freelance work, no refunds, take-it or leave-it. This means one guy and one computer, so you may have to wait if there are other jobs in the queue. Completed job files will be on a CD or DVD. Additional discs will cost extra.

Pretty simple, huh?

And no, rendertime isn't as cheap as you think it is. I don't have a render-farm yet, and my computer isn't anything new. So you may want to weigh how fancy you want to go on the effects before that process starts. Also rendering is done in Carrara 6. So don't bring outside work unless you're dealing with fairly standard 3D meshes (.obj or .3ds) or actual Carrara .car files. Note that I can do the 3D modeling at the above hourly rate, so I'd suspect you're getting one heck of a deal for the meantime.

When I get more regular work, it's likely I'll adjust the rates again and also come up with an expanded schedule. Of course this depends on what kind of jobs come up. The cheap deal you're getting now is because you're catching me on the startup end. So enjoy it while it lasts, before demand goes up, overhead creeps in, and rates go up.

Oh, and if you're wondering why print runs aren't listed - that's bigger overhead than what I'm able to cover right now. So it has to go outside to be completed. Thus you can either take the graphics files to a service of your own choosing, or you can let me take it to a third party and pass on their rates to you. I figure it's fair to be up front about it so you'll know what you're dealing with.

No comments: